[llvm-dev] Wasm, start function, and default globals

Thomas Lively via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 17 13:16:22 PDT 2019

> Is the Binaryen or Emscripten or Wabt repo the best place to ask even
Clang/LLVM questions when it comes to Wasm?

The Emscripten repo is a nice catch-all for asking cross-cutting questions,
including wasm-specific Clang/LLVM questions. This list is of course fine
for LLVM questions as well.

> However if my global is a type with a non-trivial constructor, the “data”
entry for it is just zeroed out, and there is no startup function set to
run any initialization.

It sounds like you're looking for __wasm_call_ctors. I was going to link to
its documentation, but it turns out there is none. I'll fix that here:
https://github.com/WebAssembly/tool-conventions/blob/master/Linking.md.
Anyway, just add that function to the list of functions lld should export
and make sure to call it in your runtime. You're not seeing your
constructor functions now because they're being garbage collected by lld.

> Does Binaryen preserve the “names” section? Clang/LLVM is populating that
quite nicely, and some of the stuff I’m experimenting with (e.g. profiling)
depends on its presence.

Yes, Binaryen can preserve the names section if you pass it -g.