[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: End-to-end testing

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 15 08:52:24 PDT 2019

Hi Paul,

I'm not to strongly opposing to anything, and I don't want to be the
noisy one in the corner. :)

The only point I have is that it's easier to control the environment
in the TS and e2e tests are supposed to catch higher level problems
that cannot be handled in Clang.

We already have tests in clang that check for diagnostics, IR and
other things. Expanding those can handle 99.9% of what Clang could
possibly do without descending into assembly.

Assembly errors are more complicated than just "not generating VADD",
and that's easier done in the TS than LIT.

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 at 15:55, Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com> wrote:
> Yep.  Although I run check-all before *starting* on a patch, to make sure
> the starting point is clean.  It usually is, but I've been caught enough
> times to be slightly wary.

Ah! yes! Been there, too. :)