[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] GitHub Migration Schedule and Plans

David Zarzycki via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 14 11:49:42 PDT 2019

> On Oct 14, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 at 00:22, Tom Stellard via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> With my latest changes in https://reviews.llvm.org/D67772 it is actually possible
>> to create a new branch with git-llvm, so we could print a disclaimer or block this,
>> however we still can't stop people from creating a new branch using the
>> normal git command.
>
> If the master branch is protected, we can always as people to be nice
> and not create new branches and clean up if it happens by accident or
> misinformation.
>
> After a while, mistakes should become infrequent enough that it's ok.
>
> FWIW, I'm with Mehdi on this. I'd much rather people used their own
> forks for development branches, and leave only release branches on the
> master repo.

While I agree that people should create branches in their own forks, I’d also like to point out that one is not obligated to download everything from a given upstream repository. For example, if one only cares about master and release branches from LLVM but not tags or “random” branches, then one can change .git/config to look like this:

[remote "truth"]
	url = https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project.git
	tagOpt = --no-tags
	fetch = +refs/heads/master:refs/remotes/truth/master
	fetch = +refs/heads/release/*:refs/remotes/truth/release/*