[llvm-dev] contributing llvm-install-name-tool

Michael Trent via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Oct 11 22:11:57 PDT 2019

Hi there,

This tool has been around for a long time. Originally it gave people a way to move a dylib to a new location without rebuilding, and then as a way to make an existing dylib embeddable (@rpath). I wonder if this tool is really necessary. It’s always better to make the dylib with the correct install name at build time, including @rpath, etc.. Most dylibs we see any more are either installed in fixed file system locations by OS vendors (i.e., Apple) or are embedded @rpath dylibs installed by everyone else.

Is there a use-case for install_name_tool that I have overlooked?

Or Is that small set of dylibs meant to be installed in fixed file system locations large / complex enough that people really need to install them in many different locations without simply relinking the files?

Turning to practical matters, is your intent to have the load-command rewriting code live in the tool? Or are you proposing adding support for building/swapping/rewriting Object files to libObject?

MDT