[llvm-dev] A question with using ORC RPC for remote JIT-ing.

Choe Choon Ho via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 10 23:35:20 PDT 2019

Background:

We plan to use ORC to JIT compile hot-paths, optimizing them to fully
utilize the currently running architecture.

To do this, we extract the hot-paths' code section (including external
linkages, functions, variables, etc) and embed them into the host program.
These embedded information are then pass to orc to be compiled and executed.

However, the JIT process may fail and may corrupt the host program.
Therefore, we would like to launch a different program to run this JIT
process (including linking symbols that resides in the host program) and
stream the JIT symbol back to the main program for execution.

In short, the main program request the JIT program to compile some IR and
return the JIT symbol back to the main program for execution.

Question:

Is there any tool support for this use-case?
Or, do we have to use our own IPC methods (shared memory) and JIT compile
the IR onto the shared memory, and lookup the JIT symbol in the shared
memory?

Regards,

Choe