[llvm-dev] Fwd: An internet Forum instead of mailing lists?

MyDeveloper Day via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 9 04:47:52 PDT 2019

If  LLVM enabled the Maniphest application in Phabricator (reviews.llvm.org)
we could use the inbuilt discussion aspect that we are used to in the code
reviews to talk continuously on individual topics which isn't necessarily
associated with a piece of code, and you can then use the {D12345} syntax
to cross-reference reviews or {T12345} to cross-reference other
discussions, and still keeping llvm-commit or cfe-commits as a subscribed
user so those discussions also goto the mailing lists, the use of tags
would let those questions be seen easily by subscribed members of the
projects, meaning your question doesn't disappear into a black hole.

You can use the rich markup to show images and or format code snippets to
describe designs. (here is an example from Phabricators own instance,
https://secure.phabricator.com/T13425)

My understanding is that Phabricator can also be used to intercept incoming
email with the correct decorations and add it to the discussion, so those
who prefer staying in email can stay there and reply to a thread and it
added to the ui.

Its not quite a discussion forum but it would let you have design
discussions about certain long-running topics which span multiple revisions
and commits (whilst at the same time it tracks those commits that are
checked in against that topic), and it lets you email out links to previous
discussions easily.

Whilst Maniphest is sometimes used like a bug tracker, it can also supply
workboard and project management capabilities that could let the natural
sub-teams (lld,polly,clang,clangd,clang-doc etc..) show what they were
planning on working on.

If your not going for a web-based forum like discourse (which Phabricator
themselves uses), Maniphest is a good halfway house, not dissimilar to
github issues but in my view much more powerful)

Just my 2c

MyDeveloperDay