[llvm-dev] Proposal for llvm.experimental.gc intrinsics for inttoptr and ptrtoint

Jake Ehrlich via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 1 12:37:24 PDT 2019

Ah ok, and you then inline `julia.pointer_from_objref` at the end? I
suppose I could use that technique instead of introducing new intrinsics
but it seems like we both have a use case for this

We later have an optimization pass that may see this and decide to weaken a
> tracked object back into an untracked one

Yeah I was thinking about this. In my case the only such values that aren't
tracked are integers. As I understand it the pass that adds relocations
won't need to relocate a value prior to passing to a function. The best way
to handle this seems to be to keep values known to be integers in an
integer type as long as possible, and only convert back to a pointer when
passing to a function. The goal should be to only use the integer type on
all branch paths where I've checked that the pointer is an integer (or have
additional knowledge for other reasons). If I never use the pointer value
on branches after confirming the value is an integer then I should never
have to use a relocation. Passing to a function requires downcasting of
course but I don't have to relocate for that kind of downcast. That
function would then have to perform the check of course.