[llvm-dev] RFC: Loadable segments watermark for lld

Fāng-ruì Sòng via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 27 11:40:44 PST 2019

>From previous reviews I recall that .note.llvm.watermark is a non-SHF_ALLOC
section. Linkers normally place non-SHF_ALLOC sections after SHF_ALLOC
ones. I think a post-link tool can be used to append .note.llvm.watermark
to an ELF file. It just needs to update tens to a few hundred bytes
(section header table+content of .note.llvm.watermark), assuming the
position of .note.llvm.watermark does not matter.

I feel that the reasoning of building .note.llvm.watermark being an lld
feature is not sufficiently strong. Does it need to be fast? (A benchmark
measuring the performance will be useful.) .note.llvm.watermark seems to be
only used in releases. Releases naturally involve a lot of preparation and
verification. I can't imagine that running a post-link tool can be a
bottleneck. During development .note.llvm.watermark is probably not very
useful.

If .note.llvm.watermark is indeed non-SHF_ALLOC, it can be discarded by
llvm-objcopy/llvm-strip --strip-all, but not by --strip-all-gnu
(objcopy/strip --strip-all). Is this an expected modification?

If we reach the consensus that this section is useful, llvm-objcopy may be
the right place to implement the update/verification features. If the
performance is really critical (see my question mentioned before), we
probably need to make llvm-objcopy's in-place update fast by not
overwriting contents that are not changed.

> *Is computing memory-mapped sections strong enough to detect post-link
modifications?*

In most cases, yes. A lot of people (including me) hold the opinion that
non-SHF_ALLOC parts should not affect runtime execution. There are some
counter-examples (runtime introspection), though. 1) The non-SHF_ALLOC
.ARM.attributes (https://reviews.llvm.org/D69188) is used by Debian patched
glibc ld.so. 2) The .ctf developers intend .ctf to be non-strippable
https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2019-09/msg00209.html (see the thread in
October; I even implemented objcopy --keep-section for them but I may
likely lose the battle).

宋方睿