[llvm-dev] Are C++17 host applications supported?

Machiel van Hooren via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 26 05:40:01 PST 2019

Compiler.h seems to be all about feature detection.  There may be other
issues related to feature detection that are still undiscovered and it's
hard to prevent new issues from being introduced this way.

Perhaps a better solution is to explicitly not support the mixing of C++
standards between the LLVM libraries and the application that's using
them. This would for the most part squash this class of bugs. An error
would need to be generated at compile time of the application if mixed
standards are detected.

This does not mean that C++17 applications are not supported, just that
you'd have to also compile LLVM with C++17 enabled.

Machiel