[llvm-dev] [RFC] Let's add a CONTRIBUTING.md file to llvm-project

Florian Hahn via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 22 06:39:32 PST 2019

Hi,

With multiple proposals to improve the situation for newcomers in flight, let me add another brief proposal:

Let’s add a CONTRIBUTING.md file to the top-level directory of llvm-project.

I think this would make the information about how to contribute more visible and Github uses CONTRIBUTING.md to display ‘Contributing Guidelines’ at a few places, like when creating new issues or pull requests (https://github.blog/2012-09-17-contributing-guidelines/ <https://github.blog/2012-09-17-contributing-guidelines/>). This would be a suitable place to mention that we are not using Github issues/PRs and point to the current procedures for filing issues and sharing patches.

If we decide to add a CONTRIBUTING.md file, the next question is what the content should be. We already have a page intended to summarize the information necessary to file bugs and contribute patches: https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html <https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html>

We could either

1. Duplicate the content of llvm/docs/Contributing.rst in the CONTRIBUTING.md file (I put up a patch to do that a while ago before the transition to the mono-repo, but abandoned it  because the feedback was that it was not the right time to do it https://reviews.llvm.org/D59108 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D59108>)

2. Have CONTRIBUTING.md mention that Github Issues/PRs are not used at the moment and link to https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html <https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html>.

3. Move the contents of llvm/docs/Contributing.rst from the docs to CONTRIBUTING.md. Have https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html <https://llvm.org/docs/Contributing.html> redirect to CONTRIBUTING.md on Github.

Personally I think we should either go with 2. or 3.

Please let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Florian