[llvm-dev] Random nop insertion pass

Per Larsen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 21 16:26:12 PST 2019

Hi all,

To elaborate on what Stephen said, compile-time nop insertion is only
effective if the adversary and victim have different versions of the same
binary. This obviously creates difficulties w.r.t. binary distribution and
subsequent updates*. That said, my colleagues and I at UCI did attempt to
upstream a nop insertion pass into LLVM a couple of years ago. You can find
patches for LLVM 3.8.1 that allow nop insertion and many other randomizing
transformations here: https://github.com/securesystemslab/multicompiler (Some
of these have been forward ported to LLVM 7 as well but I don't believe the
code has been made public yet.)

Thanks,
Per

*We built a robust load-time randomizer that does function shuffling that
works with off the shelf compilers and loaders, not sure if that's of
interest in your case: https://github.com/immunant/selfrando