[llvm-dev] llvm-mc & Microsoft's MASM

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 20 09:29:54 PST 2019

I don't think it's a good idea to alter what kind of syntax is accepted or
not for files that aren't explicitly opting into MASM behavior.  The usual
pattern we have done in the past for MS compatibility tools is to make a
separate tool which is named the same as the Microsoft tool, but prefixed
with `lld-`, `llvm-` or `clang-`.  E.g. `clang-cl`, `llvm-rc`, `llvm-mt`,
`lld-link`.  So in this vein, I think it makes the most sense to have any
future LLVM MASM compiler be called `llvm-ml` or `llvm-ml64`.

For your second question, I think many people on the list would be willing
to & capable of answering questions.  Just post your RFC and someone will
look at it (it sometimes takes a few bumps & pings to get people to stop
what they're doing though)