[llvm-dev] [RFC] Create llvm/lib/Frontend

Doerfert, Johannes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 19 09:04:54 PST 2019

On 11/18, Chris Lattner wrote:

> > On Nov 12, 2019, at 9:19 PM, Doerfert, Johannes via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> >
> > I was hoping to introduce a new top level library in llvm/lib/Frontend
> > for code that is (mainly) used by LLVM frontends but not by one
> > exclusively. At first, I would place the OpenMP-IR-Builder [1] (and related
> > code [0]) there. This Builder translates "OpenMP directives" to LLVM-IR
> > and is supposed to be reused in Flang.
> >
> > First, I tried to place the OpenMP-IR-Builder into llvm/IR, right next
> > to the llvm::IRBuilder, but it would soon introduce a dependence on
> > other libraries (first TransformUtils) [2].
>
> I think it is a great idea to share the OpenMP lowering code, but I’m
> concerned about the name 'lib/Frontend’.  This is a very broad name
> and there are lots of things that “could be useful for frontends” -
> and a lot of definitions of what a “frontend" is.

Fair point. I'm open to suggestions wrt. the name. FWIW, the name was
suggested because it was not only supposed to be OpenMP stuff (soon).

> WDYT about naming it something like "lib/OpenMPGen” and
> generalizing/renaming it later when the scope is more clear?

I can do that. It was also proposed to do "lib/Frontend/OpenMP" or
something similar. Would that help or would you prefer not to have the
top level "Frontend" until we actually move other things?