[llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Matt Arsenault via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 19:52:53 PST 2019

> On Nov 18, 2019, at 13:18, Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> We're just adding these for now, but I'd like people to seriously try using them. While IRC has served us fairly well, I think it is one of the bigger barriers to entry.

I’m not sure IRC is really a barrier to general llvm work entry. It’s hardly used anymore. There’s a fairly small group of people regularly active there these days, and most people are getting by without it. I do think it would be better if it was more active, or replaced/supplemented with something that would draw more people in.

For me personally, the main benefit of discord or something else over IRC is really a workaround for being able to access it on the corporate network. It’s blocked when I’m on the VPN, so whether I’m on IRC irritatingly depends on whether I need to use the VPN at the moment.

-Matt