[llvm-dev] RFC: Moving toward Discord and Discourse for LLVM's discussions

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 09:49:39 PST 2019

FWIW, super busy today, so it'll be a while before I can respond to
everything, but I wanted to very briefly clarify something. Others have as
well, but I wanted to do it directly:

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 8:16 AM Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Regarding process...
>
> > From: llvm-dev <llvm-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org> On Behalf Of David
> > Chisnall via llvm-dev
> > While I am in general in favour of creating new channels to extend the
> > reach of the community, I don't believe that something like this that
> > requires existing community members to participate to be useful should
> > be launched without a wider discussion.  This paragraph in your
> > announcement stood out:
> >
> >  > We talked to a bunch of people and looked at the options out there and
> >  > the most promising ones were Discord for chatting and Discourse for
> >  > longer-form discussions.
> >
> > Who are these 'bunch of people'?  Why were they selected to make this
> > decision (and by whom)?
>
> If this is an LLVM Foundation fiat, we know who the self-selected set are.

No, this is something that I am personally suggesting. The only real
involvement from the Foundation is keeping them in the loop in case the
community wants to fully adopt these, and asking for their help to make
sure that the demo I put up actually had moderators and admins available.

> If this is supposed to be a community-driven thing, I agree with David.
> This thread is titled as an RFC but it's presented as a fait-accompli.

Sorry that my email wasn't worded better. I really didn't intend it to come
off this way, and I tried to include several points about *if* the
community is interested in this, and *if* these things work out.

All of the discussion around talking to people was for me to personally
figure out which options I was willing to invest my time setting up as a
demo to show the community.

If you all decide that none of this is useful, that is 100% your decision.

>From here on, I'm going to advocate for these solutions because I genuinely
think they're the right path for the community. But I want it to be
extremely clear: my goal is to convince you that this is a good path, and
this is a request for comment. There is no decision anywhere in sight other
than my decision to put together a demo of these options so you all could
evaluate them and understand what it would look like.