[llvm-dev] MLIR landing in the monorepo

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 08:34:04 PST 2019

James Y Knight via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> The alternative I had in mind would be to rewrite the commits on the branch
> so that all the files are under an mlir/ subdirectory, and then do a normal
> merge from that.

I just sent a message about import-downstream-repo.py, shown here:

https://github.com/jyknight/llvm-git-migration/pull/6/commits

The default mode of operation does exactly what James says here.  It
rewrites the commits so all blobs are under a specific subdirectory.
Then you can do a merge from the rewritten MLIR HEAD.

With the --import-list option you can tell the tool to preserve blobs
from other subprojects alongside the MLIR blobs.  I did not test that
functionality much, though.

With default operation, a checkout of an early MLIR commit would should
only an "mlir" directory in the working directory.  With --import-list
you'd see all of the other subproject directories, though the contents
of those other directories wouldn't change as you walked back through
early MLIR history.

                      -David