[llvm-dev] DW_OP_implicit_pointer design/implementation in general

Jeremy Morse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 18 08:33:26 PST 2019

Hi llvm-dev@,

Switching focus to the LLVM implementation, the significant change is
using dbg.value's first operand to refer to a DILocalVariable, rather
than a Value. There's some impedance mismatch here, because all the
documentation (for example in the DbgVariableIntrinsic class)
expresses everything in terms of the variables location, whereas
implicit pointers don't have a location as they represent an extra
level of indirection. This is best demonstrated by the change to
IntrinsicInst.cpp in this patch [0] -- calling getVariableLocation on
any normal dbg.value will return the locations Value, but if it's an
implicit pointer then you'll get the meaningless MetadataAsValue
wrapper back instead. This isn't the variable location, might surprise
existing handlers of dbg.values, and just seems a little off.

I can see why this route has been taken, but by putting a non-Value in
dbg.value's, it really changes what dbg.values represent, a variable
location in the IR. Is there any appetite out there for using a
different intrinsic, something like 'dbg.loc.implicit', instead of
using dbg.value? IMO it would be worthwhile to separate:
 * Debug intrinsics where their position in the IR is important, from
 * Debug intrinsics where both their position in the IR, _and_ a Value
in the IR, are important.
Of which (I think) implicit pointers are the former, and current [2]
dbg.values are the latter. This would also avoid putting
DW_OP_implicit_pointer into expressions in the IR, pre-isel at least.

There's also Vedants suggestion [1] for linking implicit pointer
locations with the dbg.values of the underlying DILocalVariable. I
suspect the presence of control flow might make it difficult (there's
no dbg.phi instruction), but I like the idea of having more explicit
links in the IR, it would be much clearer to interpret what's going
on.

[0] https://reviews.llvm.org/D69999?id=229790
[1] https://reviews.llvm.org/D69886#1736182
[2] Technically dbg.value(undef,...) is the former too, I guess.

--
Thanks,
Jeremy