[llvm-dev] MLIR landing in the monorepo

James Y Knight via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 15 08:53:39 PST 2019

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 5:03 AM Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (bcc: mlir at tensorflow.org FYI)
>
> I am following-up on the integration of MLIR in LLVM as a subproject (Re:
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-October/135687.html ).
>
> We're aiming to integrate into the monorepo next month. Right now our
> intent is for MLIR to live in a top-level directory in parallel to clang,
> lldb, lld, etc.

Sounds right.

> Our top option for the integration is to perform a git subtree merge to
> bring the MLIR history into the monorepo, here is a prototype:
> https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-project-with-mlir

I'll note that this would be the very-first merge commit on master. I'm not
opposed to this, but others may be. (To allow this, we'd temporarily
reconfigure github to allow pushing merge-commits, for this one commit, and
then disable it again.)

However, another issue is that subtree merges have really weird artifacts
when trying to look through history, with e.g. git log <filename>. I think
I'd really prefer to avoid utilizing a subtree-merge for this.