[llvm-dev] DW_OP_implicit_pointer design/implementation in general

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 15 08:07:15 PST 2019

| Any ideas why it wouldn't be more general to handle cases where the variable isn't named?

Couldn’t there be a DIE (flagged as artificial) to describe the return-value temp?  You’d need such a DIE if you wanted the debugger to be able to look at the return value from source() anyway, in the context of main() and in the absence of inlining.  And given that DIE, implicit_pointer within sink() can refer to it.