[llvm-dev] RFC: token arguments and operand bundles

Jameson Nash via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 14 20:00:13 PST 2019

I understand that, but I think you missed my point. Not all front-ends are
clang, and non-C frontends are also interested in this work. And even C
might want to eventually want to be able to use these more generally. For
example, the current C standard (afaik) doesn’t define what must happen if
this pragma tried to use a non-literal constant, such as a template
attribute as the arguments. But it’s not obvious to me why LLVM should
inherit that limitation. Currently it seems to be implemented in a way that
requires special handling in any front-end, influenced strong by the
special handling it’s now getting in C. For other languages, it’s doable to
expose this to users regardless, but if you’re already considering changing
it, my vote would be to use a normal representation with first-class values.

However, I  really appreciate the specifics on the concern you brought up,
because that’s a good point. If it’s just about better IR printing, perhaps
we can just address that directly?

Most simply, perhaps these calls could customize the printing to append a
comment? Some places already do that, for example to show Function
Attributes.

Similarly, but more major, LLVM could perhaps define a new “named constant”
syntax for the parser format (either with special tokens like your current
PR and/or that get defined elsewhere like existing global constants).
Certain instructions (such as these) could then use the option to customize
the printing of their arguments to use the named constant (after parsing,
they’d just be a normal Constant—only printing would optionally use them to
show the information better to the reader).