[llvm-dev] DW_OP_implicit_pointer design/implementation in general

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 14 13:53:11 PST 2019

My reading of the DWARF issue is that it was fairly specifically designed to handle the case of a function taking parameters by pointer/reference, which is then inlined, and the caller is passing local objects rather than other pointers/references.  So:

void inline_me(foo *ptr) {
 does something with ptr->x or *ptr;
}
void caller() {
  foo actual_obj;
  inline_me(&actual_obj);
}

After inlining, maintaining a pointer to actual_obj might be sub-optimal, but after a “step in” to inline_me, the user wants to look at an expression spelled *ptr even though the actual_obj might not have a memory address (because fields are SROA’d into registers, or whatever).  This is where DW_OP_implicit_pointer saves the day; *ptr and ptr->x are still evaluatable expressions, which expressions are secretly indirecting through the DIE for actual_obj.

I think it is not widely applicable outside of that kind of scenario.
--paulr