[llvm-dev] Understanding targets

Gaier, Bjoern via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 13 23:10:52 PST 2019

Hello Paul and Simon, (Sorry - I'm not sure about the social conventions in mailing lists)

Both of your answers helped me a lot! So If I understand it correctly, Clang knows what 'mips1' and 'mips5' are - but can't generate code for it? Why is it like that?

I actually have a more in general questions about processors... If this is the wrong place for it, please ignore it, I'm just a bit confused.
So the R3000 is a "MIPS CPU"? What does that actually mean? Is the architecture MIPS? Or the producer? When I go to Wikipedia I see MIPS as the designer, so I take it is like saying "Intel CPU" or "AMD CPU" but that does not tell me anything about the assembly instruction it uses, right?
But then also I see as Design "RISC", as I understood it describes the assembly instructions? But why would I tell Clang to target "mips1" when the design of the R3000 is RISC? Why isn't RISCV correct then? Or RISC1 or so...

Also how does that influence floating point arithmetic? I often heard that those are separated processors FPUs(?). So could it be, that there is an additional processor besides the processor I know about? Like R3000 + FPU? Wouldn't had Clang or any other compiler to know about such a construct or is that not the case?

Sorry again if this is too much off topic - I simply never thought about such stuff before °/////°

Thank you in advance and kind greetings
Björn