[llvm-dev] The best way of generating a good representation for an array with header?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 12 17:33:51 PST 2019

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 2:36 PM Christoffer Lernö <christoffer at aegik.com>
wrote:

> The advantages:
>
> 1. A pointer to the struct offset can be converted to a pointer without
> any cost.
> 2. A nullpointer to a stretchy buffer can be treated as a zero length
> array. Consequently no actual struct allocation is needed to represent a
> zero length array.

(2) could probably be done as well with the other representation (with the
prefix data representation you'd still have to special case the null test
before going backwards from the pointer to find the size - because you
wouldn't want to go backwards from null and try to read bytes there to find
the size).

> 3. A reference to the array is the same size as to a pointer.

(3) Would be true with either representation I'm picturing. (pointing to
the start of the struct you've described, rather tahn pointing to the
trailing array and walking backwards to find the rest)

> 4. It can be converted to and back from an pointer without losing any
> information about the size & capacity.

Converting back you have to know it's the start of an array, though, right?
(& you could still do that in the other representation - by subtraction,
but yes, wouldn't be free/zero-cost)

> The downsides are what we discuss. But it looks like I have to accept that
> I can only represent it as a pointer with unknown length in DWARF then?

I imagine it'd be difficult to describe the calling convention for passing
this array? Are you going to have instances of this on the stack and passed
by value? or only ever individually dynamically allocated & pointed to from
other places?

If they were individually dynamically allocated & only ever pointed to the
trailing array - the DWARF for that'd be pretty simple - basically just a
special pointer type. The pretty printer for it would know it was allowed
to walk backwards to find some extra things (as would any member functions,
if needed, be implemented in terms of walking the poniter back).

- dave