[llvm-dev] The best way of generating a good representation for an array with header?

Christoffer Lernö via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 12 12:43:50 PST 2019

Yes, we’re actually viewing the struct at an offset.

So basically it’s a struct like this:

typedef struct {
  uint32_t size;
  uint32_t capacity;
  int array[0];
} Foo;

The whole thing is malloc:ed with extra bytes at the end, and capacity is set to that same number of extra bytes.

What’s then passed around is actually the int pointer at an offset: &(foo->array)

Using the that pointer we can obviously in a simple way recover the pointer to the struct, but can it be done so that LLVM and DWARF can identify the pointer as a pointer to a struct member for a certain struct?

std::vector is as far as I know wrapping a pointer or two.

The advantage of a stretchy buffer is that its length is recoverable even if stored as a pointer. It’s also incredibly thin, only taking up the same size as a pointer – as opposed to std::vector which is likely 2 pointers long.

Best Regards,

Christoffer