[llvm-dev] Enable Contributions Through Pull-request For LLVM

Alex Brachet-Mialot via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 8 11:44:09 PST 2019

I'm not sure the idea that enabling pull requests will make it easier
for new contributors is fully thought out. Just because more people
might be familiar with GitHub, doesn't mean it is superior. I've found
the workflow on Phabricator to be really easy. I think many people
agree that Phabricator is really good, I don't think we would want to
get rid of Phabricator and while its still an option it will be
difficult for GitHub PR's to get a lot of attention. The barrier of
creating an account at reviews.llvm.org is very small, you can even
use your GitHub account so really the barrier is the same. I think
people who submit patches on GitHub are going to have a much harder
time finding reviewers than if they were to submit them on
Phabricator. Getting reviewers is a much bigger barrier than making an
account and uploading a diff, and that will only be harder than if we
only allowed submitting patches through Phabricator.

Cheers,
Alex