[llvm-dev] Understanding AllocaInst

Avery Laird via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 8 11:04:54 PST 2019

Hello,

Hopefully this is the correct place for this sort of question. I have been
trying to do some simple instrumentation of LLVM IR, and I have been
confused by the return type of alloca. When passing an AllocaInst as a
parameter to a function call, the parameter type is i32**, which is not
what I would expect. Really I would like the address of the allocated
memory. What am I missing? And is it possible to represent the result of
alloca as an integer? Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Avery