[llvm-dev] Comments on GitHub commits?

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 4 06:44:21 PST 2019

> >> From what I’ve seen on other projects, comments on raw git commits are
> rare and self-limiting. The only reasonable responses are “okay”, “okay,
> file a bug”, and “okay, please submit a patch”. I also haven’t verified
> this, but I suspect only the commit author gets notified, which prevents
> idle people from piling onto to the conversation.
> >>

> > Watchers of the repo get the comments (just like pull-requests).
> >
> > I suspect that moving to a system where people are watching the
> repository instead of subscribing to the mailing-list is likely
> unavoidable at some point.
>
> Then again, watching the repository will ultimately be like
> subscribing to llvm-commits, won't it? How many people do _that_ and
> actually track what happens? I personally can't imagine doing that
> without some serious automatic filtering...

Not sure what you mean by "actually track what happens."
I subscribe, and I skim the subject lines nearly every day, to see
whether anything interesting has happened.  I actually *read* maybe
1 or 2 percent of the traffic.  In order for automatic filtering to
work, I'd need to decide ahead of time what keywords and/or people to
care about.  I'd rather not look at the project with such blinders in
place.
--paulr