[llvm-dev] Orc JIT v1 Deprecation

Alex Denisov via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 21 00:51:11 PDT 2019

Hello everyone,

Praveen,

> You can also take a look at "Updating ORC for Concurrency" talk by lang hames, the talk explains about the new APIs.

It's a good reference, but it is not sufficient as communication channel, imho.

> For documentation kaleidoscope, I don't think the updated version is available yet.

It is very often outdated, so I developed (not on purpose) a mental model of not relying on it.

Lang,

> There is no guide yet. It sounds like there is plenty of interest in creating one. I’m also going to try to post a draft of the ORCv2 design document we discussed later tonight.

I'll try to migrate my code to the v2 API and describe the process, but please don't take my words as a promise :-D

> It is definitely not closed source.

After re-reading my statement I realized that it was too harsh, sorry about that. I rather meant that I was only able to get information post factum, which reminded some of our hardware vendors :)

> I plan to add deprecation attributes to the legacy classes on trunk so that clients who use 9.0 receive warnings.

That's a very good idea. I think I understand your motivation to force everyone to use the new APIs, but I also think it makes sense to make the migration process a bit more smooth.

Stefan,

Thanks for the summary and for bringing more people into the discussion.

Thanks a lot for your contributions, folks!

Cheers,
Alex.