[llvm-dev] Python 2 end-of-life and llvm

Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon May 20 14:21:44 PDT 2019

I don't think those comments are necessarily authoritative. LLDB on Windows
basically requires Python 3, so I've been configuring my entire checkout
with -DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=C:/src/Python37/python.exe, and things work OK.
However, I think that mainly controls how cmake invokes lit when you build
`check-llvm`, so I wouldn't be surprised if the longer tail of scripts is
Python2 only.

So, I think in practice, for important scripts that run as part of build &
test, we are Python 3 ready. For the long tail of things that developers
run locally (git-llvm, update_llc_test_checks.py, etc), I imagine things
are done on an ad hoc basis.

If someone wanted to do a lot of testing and try to make CMake prefer
python 3 if both are available, I think that would be reasonable now that
Python 2 is approaching EOL. On reflection, that was just a long, hopefully
nicer, way of saying "patches welcome." :)