[llvm-dev] How to change CLang struct alignment behaviour?

Joan Lluch via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 14 14:21:03 PDT 2019

Hi Tim,

I am not sure about what you mean by “upstream” the function. I attach a text file with my proposed changes in case you can do something with it. It seems to me that the programmer that coded this function was already considering this, or maybe somebody spoiled it later, because it turns out that the problem is just a missing sentence in the function, that I have now added. I have tested it the best that I could for several targets, but I have not applied any systematised testing procedure.

I also found that not only the MSP430 target is affected, but also the MIPS16 target too.

For the MIPS16 you also need to remove the “getOptimalMemOpType” or make it return MVT::Other, because the current implementation returning a concrete MVT prevents the proposed changes to take the desired effect. The changes benefit the MIPS16  (llc -march=mips -mips-os16) because it’s a subtarget that does not support unaligned accesses.

Thanks for your help. The function is attached, it just has an added statement

John Lluch