[llvm-dev] [LLD] Should --compress_debug_sections be enabled (=zlib) by default ?

Rui Ueyama via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 7 00:03:00 PDT 2019

We can compress debug sections in compiler-generated object files as well
as linker-generated executables. So the question whether we should compress
debug sections is not only relevant to lld but to clang, and I think it's
actually a whole toolchain-level decision.

If we decide to compress debug sections for some target, we should make a
change to the compiler driver to flip the default for a compiler flag to
turn on compression. lld is invoked by the compiler driver, so a change for
the linker would be added to the compiler driver too.

I think I'm mildly in favor of making such change -- I guess the cost of
compress doesn't too high, and that might even make things *faster* by
reducing the amount of IO. I'd guess people wouldn't even care whether
debug sections are compressed or not, as their tools already support it.
But I don't have an evidence that the latter is actually the case.