[llvm-dev] [GSoC] Supporting Efficiently the Shift-vector Instructions of the Connex Vector Processor

Roman Lebedev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 3 12:46:57 PDT 2019

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 10:27 PM Alex Susu <alex.e.susu at gmail.com> wrote:

>    Hello, Roman, llvm-dev,
>      There is one aspect I would like to discuss with you, the people from the llvm-dev
> mailing list. There is one thing a bit more special with this back end, namely our back
> end handles symbolic immediate operands (C/C++ expressions written as strings in INLINEASM
> MachineInstrs). This means the back end can output a vector assembly code like:
>        VLOAD RegVectorial0, N * 10 + 5 // where N is a variable in the original C program
>      Therefore, in order to support retrieving from LLVM IR back to the original source C
> code,
> <...>
I'm not sure how that is supposed to work. What if IR does not originate from C?
How do you verify that the "C string" is in the form that will be understood
by whatever will handle it later on? Is there a clang part of the patch?

Regardless, that was already answered in https://reviews.llvm.org/D60052#1476119
> In general, IR instructions should be lowered to SelectionDAG nodes in a way that
> doesn't require referring back to the original Instruction afterwards.

>      I've committed a new version of the source code at https://reviews.llvm.org/D60052 .
> I hope it will get accepted soon - I'm discussing with the reviewers.
As it has already been stated multiple times in the review, that is a
huge patch. It needs to be split into *many* *small*, standalone patches,
each one with proper test coverage and no dead code, before any review
can happen. You won't get an an alternative opinion from any other reviewer.

>    Best regards,
>      Alex

Roman