[llvm-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: RFC - a proposal to support additional symbol metadata in ELF object files in the ARM compiler

Snider, Todd via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 3 08:23:59 PDT 2019

Peter,

Thanks for the response. The idea of using a section for symbol metadata with an associated relocation table is intriguing.

It would be a straightforward representation of the data and it has the benefit  that downstream object consumers (especially editors) already know how to renumber symbol indices in relocation table entries.

What gives me pause is that this would go against the normal paradigm of what a relocation table is used for. In most, if not all, other cases a relocation entry is associated with a slice of data in a section and is used to patch that slice of data an link-time or dynamic load time. In this case, the relocation table becomes a simple container for symbol indices.

I am still weighing the encoding metadata in special absolute symbols approach vs. your suggestion. I understand that updating LLVM’s objcopy and strip to renumber the symbol indices embedded in the absolute symbols would be part of the implementation. I need to understand what effort will be involved in making that update before I decide on one approach or the other.

James,

I’d prefer to make the encoding mechanism extensible for other metadata. I think there are other use cases that make a shared encoding method sensible.

~ Todd