[llvm-dev] Upper case vs lower case in printed and parsed MIR

Björn Pettersson A via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 2 06:18:36 PDT 2019

Today the MIR parser expects lower case subregister names only.
It then matches the parsed name with an (at runtime) lower casing
of the subregister names stored in tablegen'd tables.

Since there has been no more comments on these questions from
Markus I suggest that D60311 should be abandoned, and then we should
make a solution (focusing on subregister names) where the MIR parser
should be case sensitive when parsing subregister names.

(If we run into trouble with an unexpected amount of churn in any MIR
testcases we could go for making the parser case insensitive.)

Thus, the MIR parser won't be fully backwards compatible. And for example
downstream repo maintainers (like myself) would need to update MIR
tests to use the correct case in subregister names.

/Björn