[llvm-dev] Assigning custom information to IR instruction and passing it to its correspondent in Selection DAG

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 1 15:05:16 PDT 2019

On Wed, May 1, 2019 at 2:48 PM Przemyslaw Ossowski <
przemyslaw.ossowski at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Mehdi for the suggestion.
> I want to customize handling of 'load' instruction during processing DAG,
> but on IR level I want the 'load' to be treated in different passes as
> common load. So I'm afraid that replacing 'load' with Intrinsic would cause
> different handling it comparing to LoadInst.

Yes this is the kind of replacement you would do after the general
optimizations.
If you need to attach this information when you create the IR (from the
front-end directly for example) then intrinsics or metadatas are the only
two ways I know of.
Depending on what is it exactly that you are trying to model, function
attributes can be used but they would apply to the whole function (or
specific arguments). It may also be possible to use an intrinsic to mark
the pointer itself instead of the instructions manipulating it, again it
depends on what you are modelling.

I've found that in the DAGBuilder metadata information connected with
> LoadInst instruction is utilized:
> bool isInvariant = I.getMetadata(LLVMContext::MD_invariant_load) !=
> nullptr;
>
> Is this metadata somehow protected against dropping - as you mentioned?

Nothing is protected as far as I know, the design is that it should always
be legal to drop a metadata.
I don’t know what the invariant_load information is used for at the place
you looked at, but I assume that I can take the IR, strip it out of the
“invariant_load” metadata from the loads, and optimizations/codegen should
still be correct. If your use-case fits in this model then metadata is
likely a good starting point.

Best,

—
Mehdi