[llvm-dev] RFC - a proposal to support additional symbol metadata in ELF object files in the ARM compiler

Peter Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed May 1 08:27:19 PDT 2019

On Wed, 1 May 2019 at 15:03, Finkel, Hal J. <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> On 5/1/19 7:22 AM, Christof Douma via llvm-dev wrote:
> > Hi Snider.
> >
> > As you and Peter mentioned there are indeed toolchains that allow location placement from within the C/C++ source code, using attributes or similar. I always wonder if such extension is worth the effort. There are downsides like the non-standard ways of communicating this information to the linker, different places that control location of things (linker and compiler sources). I would love to understand more of what is problematic in the more common approach for placement that is already available.
> >
> > The conceptual model I follow is that the C/C++ source describes the semantics of the program, and the linker sources (LD scripts or similar, depending on the toolchain in use) describe the placement of the program on the system/device. This gives rise to two common ways for placement that are used a lot that work without any non-standard extensions:
> >
> > * Define a variable in C/C++ in a dedicated section that a linker can move individually ('section' attribute in the compiler, and regular section placement in the linker).
> > * Define a symbol in the linker at a certain place and used an extern declaration in C/C++. At this point you can either take the address of it (commonly used) or use it as a regular object (less common).
> >
> > I am very interested to hear what the weakness in these methods are, to understand the need of a 'location' attribute.
>

> I like the idea of these fixed-location variables being defined as
> actual global variables. The optimizer can actually reason about them
> that way. The common alternative that I've seen is that programmers
> don't generate variables at all, but rather, do something like this:
>
>   #define DEV_DATA (*((volatile unsigned long *)(0x2000A000)))
>
> and the optimizer needs to make very pessimistic assumptions about the
> aliasing, etc. in this case. However, in the end, do we actually want
> symbols that the linker resolves? Or do we want the immediate address?
> Would the latter be more efficient?
>
> Having to define sections for each of these variables and then maintain
> the location mappings in a linker script can be annoying -- on the other
> hand, if you target multiple systems for which the addresses might be
> different then having the locations in a separate file might be best anyway.
>
> What I don't understand about this proposal is how general it is. How
> much of what is specified in a linker script can be specified this way?
> Do we really just want a way to embed linker-script fragments into an
> object file?

I suspect that clang/llvm will be agnostic with respect to what can be
done in the linker. In effect the linker is given the instruction to
place a section at a particular address and it is up to the linker to
work out how to do that or error if it can't.

The majority of the cases I've seen this used for are memory mapped
peripheral registers that typically live way outside the normal memory
map covered by the linker script. These cases are not too difficult to
handle as the linker can generate its own fragment of linker script
(or equivalent) from the Input Section. The more difficult case is
where the location is in the middle of an existing OutputSection and
this can involve changes to the linker's layout to flow non-location
sections around it, this is a fertile source of corner case bugs. How
much or little of this to support might be best left to the linker.

Embedding linker script fragments is an interesting idea, and could
mean that any linker that supports GNU linker scripts could use the
feature. I think that there would be a number of challenges:
- Precedence of section selectors, i.e. how to stop an earlier linker
script pattern from matching the location, I guess a tempname style
section name might help, although wildcards might pick it up.
- The linker script fragment would need to not clash with an existing
OutputSection. I think that this could work for memory mapped
peripherals but it wouldn't for some of the other use cases that a
linker might want to support.
- Embedded ELF linkers may not support GNU Linker Script syntax.
Although custom targets could change the linker script format as they
see fit.

Will be interesting to hear what use cases Todd had in mind.

Peter