[llvm-dev] [RFC] A road map for the function merging optimization

JF Bastien via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 15 16:53:53 PDT 2019

At a high level I would like to see a better function merger. I think you should incrementally improve the existing one.

It would be useful to go through previous discussions, e.g.:
https://reviews.llvm.org/D22051 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D22051>
https://reviews.llvm.org/D52896 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D52896>

As I see it, the main problem to mergefuncs today is that it has a view of IR which tends to diverge from actual IR. I think this needs to be fixed, and mergefuncs turned on by default, before we try to improve it. Somehow, declaring LLVM IR shouldn’t be able to diverge from how mergefuncs compares and hashes IR. i.e. LLVM contributors shouldn’t be able to inadvertently break mergefuncs by adding a new property to an existing IR node.

If you do this, we can then turn mergefuncs on by default, then improve it.

One improvement I’d like to see is for a simple mergefuncs to run early, because that reduces compile-time. You can then have a late mergefuncs which performs more work (including partial merging).

I’m happy to help review patches along the way.