[llvm-dev] getelementptr inbounds with offset 0

Ralf Jung via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 15 09:09:03 PDT 2019

Hi Johannes,

> From the Lang-Ref statement
>
>   "With the inbounds keyword, the result value of the GEP is undefined
>   if the address is outside the actual underlying allocated object and
>   not the address one-past-the-end."
>
> I'd argue that the actual offset value (here 0) is irrelevant. The GEP
> value is undefined if inbounds is present and the resulting pointer does
> not point into, or one-past-the-end, of an allocated object. This
> object, in my understanding, has to be the same one the base pointer of
> the GEP points into, or one-past-the-end, or you get again an undefined
> result.

Yes, I agree with that reading.

However, the notion of "allocated object" here is not entirely clear.  LLVM has
to operate under the assumption that there are allocations and allocators it doe
snot know anything about.  Just imagine some embedded project writing to
well-known address 0xDeadCafe because there is a hardware register there.

So, the thinking here is: LLVM cannot exclude the possibility of an object of
size 0 existing at any given address.  The pointer returned by "GEPi p 0" then
would be one-past-the-end of such a 0-sized object.  Thus, "GEPi p 0" is the
identitiy function for any p, it will not return poison.

> Now if that might cause any problems, e.g., if LLVM is able to act on
> this fact, depends on various factors including what you do with the
> GEP. Your initial problem seemed to be that LLVM "might be able to
> deduce dereferencable memory at location 4" but that should never be the
> case if you only form the aforementioned GEP, with or without the
> inbounds actually. Forming a pointer that has a undefined value is just
> that, a pointer with an undefined value.

Ah, good point.  First of all I was indeed unclear; the case I am worried about
here is GEPi returning poison.  (These values might be used in further
computations and eventually surface as UB.)
But also, clearly a "GEPi 0" alone cannot introduce any dereferencability
assumption because of the "one-past-the-end" case. That point is inbounds but
cannot be dereferenced.

So, for the sake of a more concrete example (and please excuse me butchering
LLVM syntax, I usually deal with this in terms of C or Rust syntax): Can %G in
the following programs be poison?  If yes, what is the analysis that would be
weakened or the optimization that could no longer happen if "GEPi %P 0" was
instead defined to always return %P?

# example1

%P = int2ptr 4
%G = gep inbounds %P 0

# example2

%P = call noalias i8* @malloc(i64 12)
call void @free(i8* %P)
%G = gep inbounds %P 0

The first happens in Rust all the time, and we rely on not getting poison.  The
second doesn't occur in Rust (to my knowledge), but it seems somewhat
inconsistent to return poison in one case and not the other.

Kind regards,
Ralf