[llvm-dev] RFC: ELF Autolinking

Peter Collingbourne via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 14 11:27:47 PDT 2019

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 6:08 AM bd1976 llvm via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> [...]
> original motivation seems to have been to remove the "autolink-extract"
> mechanism used by Swift to workaround the lack of autolinking support for
> ELF. However, looking at the Swift source code, Swift still seems to be
> using the "autolink-extract" method.
>
> So my first question: Are there any users of the current implementation
> for ELF?
>
> Assuming that no one is using the current code, I would like to suggest a
> different mechanism for autolinking.
>
> For ELF we need limited autolinking support. Specifically, we only need
> support for "comment lib" pragmas (
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/preprocessor/comment-c-cpp?view=vs-2017)
> in C/C++ e.g. #pragma comment(lib, "foo"). My suggestion that we keep the
> implementation as lean as possible.
>
> Principles to guide the implementation:
> - Developers should be able to easily understand autolinking behavior.
> - Developers should be able to override autolinking from the linker
> command line.
> - Inputs specified via pragmas should be handled in a general way to allow
> the same source code to work in different environments.
>
> I would like to propose that we focus on autolinking exclusively and that
> we divorce the implementation from the idea of "linker options" which, by
> nature, would tie source code to the vagaries of particular linkers. I
> don't see much value in supporting other linker operations so I suggest
> that the binary representation be a mergable string section (SHF_MERGE,
> SHF_STRINGS), called .autolink, with custom type SHT_LLVM_AUTOLINK
> (0x6fff4c04), and SHF_EXCLUDE set (to avoid the contents appearing in the
> output). The compiler can form this section by concatenating the arguments
> of the "comment lib" pragmas in the order they are encountered. Partial
> (-r, -Ur) links can be handled by concatenating .autolink sections with the
> normal mergeable string section rules. The current .linker-options can
> remain (or be removed); but, "comment lib" pragmas for ELF should be
> lowered to .autolink not to .linker-options. This makes sense as there is
> no linker option that "comment lib" pragmas map directly to. As an example,
> #pragma comment(lib, "foo") would result in:
>
> .section ".autolink","eMS", at llvm_autolink,1
>         .asciz "foo"
>
> For LTO, equivalent information to the contents of a the .autolink section
> will be written to the IRSymtab so that it is available to the linker for
> symbol resolution.
>
> The linker will process the .autolink strings in the following way:
>
> 1. Inputs from the .autolink sections of a relocatable object file are
> added when the linker decides to include that file (which could itself be
> in a library) in the link. Autolinked inputs behave as if they were
> appended to the command line as a group after all other options. As a
> consequence the set of autolinked libraries are searched last to resolve

If we want this to be compatible with GNU linkers, doesn't the autolinked
input need to appear at the point immediately after the object file appears
in the link? I'm imagining the case where you have a statically linked libc
as well as a libbar.a autolinked from a foo.o. The link command line would
look like this:

ld foo.o -lc

Now foo.o autolinks against bar. The command line becomes:

ld foo.o -lc -lbar

If libbar.a requires an additional object file from libc.a, it will not be
added to the link.

2. It is an error if a file cannot be found for a given string.
> 3. Any command line options in effect at the end of the command line
> parsing apply to autolinked inputs, e.g. --whole-archive.
> 4. Duplicate autolinked inputs are ignored.

This seems like it would work in GNU linkers, as long as the autolinked
file is added to the link immediately after the last mention, rather than
the first. Otherwise a command line like:

ld foo1.o foo2.o

(where foo1.o and foo2.o both autolink bar) could end up looking like:

ld foo1.o -lbar foo2.o

and you will not link anything from libbar.a that only foo2.o requires. It
may end up being simpler to not ignore duplicates.

5. The linker tries to add a library or relocatable object file from each
> of the strings in a .autolink section by; first, handling the string as if
> it was specified on the commandline; second, by looking for the string in
> each of the library search paths in turn; third, by looking for a
> lib<string>.a or lib<string>.so (depending on the current mode of the
> linker) in each of the library search paths.

Is the second part necessary? "-l:foo" causes the linker to search for a
file named "foo" in the library search path, so it seems that allowing the
autolink string to look like ":foo" would satisfy this use case.

6. A new command line option --no-llvm-autolink will tell LLD to ignore the
> .autolink sections.
>
> Rationale for the above points:
>
> 1. Adding the autolinked inputs last makes the process simple to
> understand from a developers perspective. All linkers are able to implement
> this scheme.
> 2. Error-ing for libraries that are not found seems like better behavior
> than failing the link during symbol resolution.
> 3. It seems useful for the user to be able to apply command line options
> which will affect all of the autolinked input files. There is a potential
> problem of surprise for developers, who might not realize that these
> options would apply to the "invisible" autolinked input files; however,
> despite the potential for surprise, this is easy for developers to reason
> about and gives developers the control that they may require.
> 4. Unlike on the command line it is probably easy to include the same
> input file twice via pragmas and might be a pain to fix; think of
> Third-party libraries supplied as binaries.
> 5. This algorithm takes into account all of the different ways that ELF
> linkers find input files. The different search methods are tried by the
> linker in most obvious to least obvious order.
> 6. I considered adding finer grained control over which .autolink inputs
> were ignored (e.g. MSVC has /nodefaultlib:<library>); however, I concluded
> that this is not necessary: if finer control is required developers can
> recreate the same effect autolinking would have had using command line
> options.
>
> Thoughts?

Peter