[llvm-dev] [RFC] Late (OpenMP) GPU code "SPMD-zation"

Doerfert, Johannes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 13 14:18:02 PDT 2019

On 03/13, Alexey Bataev wrote:
> 13.03.2019 15:35, Doerfert, Johannes пишет:
> >
> > Hi Alexey,
> >

> > thank you for your quick feedback.
> >

> > > There are tooooooo(!) many changes, I don't who's going to review sooooo big
> > patch.
> >

> > I can for sure split it in the three components/repositories that are
> > touched, clang, llvm, and openmp.
> >
> > I feared it will then be harder to navigate the code in order to see
> > the connection points.
> >
> > I am a bit amazed by your hyperbolism though given the complexity is
> > not that height
> >
> > due to the absence of modified or removed lines. Anyway, you seem to
> > have very strong feelings about
> >
> > this so I am open to suggestion on how to split it up.
> >

> 1. You definitely need to split it into separate patches for different
> components.

Done:
  OpenMP: https://reviews.llvm.org/D59319
   Clang: https://reviews.llvm.org/D59328
    LLVM: https://reviews.llvm.org/D59331

> 2. Even inside of those components this patch must be split into several
> small patches, it is very hard to review so big patches.

Please take a look at the three patches above.

The first contains the interface definition and implementation for NVPTX
(in cuda). I don't know how to further split that except to separate it
into the definition and the implementation, though that does not make
sense to me.

The second contains the code generation. It is very much like the NVPTX
code generation except that it does not contain logic.

The third is the LLVM pass which could be split into two, SPMD-mode and
state machine creation. I'll wait for feedback on the other patches
until I go ahead.

> > > Also, I don't like the idea adding of one more class for NVPTX
> > codegen. All your changes should be on top of the eixisting solution.
> >

> > Could you please explain to me why? This will only make everything
> > more complicated and entangled.
> > Also, the new class is supposed to be "target agnostic" so a new
> > offloading target, e.g., AMD GPUs, could easily reuse
> > the new code while the old code is sprinkled with NVPTX specific
> > details, e.g., function calls, constants, etc.
> >
> 1. As far as I know, even now the NVPTX codegen can be reused for AMD
> GPUs with some small changes.

The target region code generation is supposed to be reusable for
AMD/XYZ/... without changes.

> 2. Your patch is about codegen for NVPTX, so you must change the
> existing codegen, but not to introduce the new one for the same target.

I strongly disagree. The patch is not "for NVPTX" but for "OpenMP target
offloading", maybe with a focus on "GPU kernels". The fact that the only
target offloading device we currently support is based on Cuda and NVPTX
is incidental.

> There is no point to maintain two different codegens for one target.

Given your comments on my initial RFC and prototype I strongly suspected
you do not want this approach to replace the current NVPTX code
generation. Once that changes we can get rid of one of them.

jdoerfert at anl.gov