[llvm-dev] Scalable Vector Types in IR - Next Steps?

Graham Hunter via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 13 06:57:50 PDT 2019

Hi David,

> On 12 Mar 2019, at 15:17, David Greene <dag at cray.com> wrote:
>
> Graham Hunter <Graham.Hunter at arm.com> writes:
>
>> We (Arm) have had more off-line discussions with some members of the
>> community and they have expressed some reservations on adding scalable
>> vectors as a first class type. They have proposed an alternative to
>> enable support for C-level intrinsics and autovectorization for SVE.
>
> Can we get a summary of those discussions?  What are the concerns?
>
>                          -David

I did ask them to post their arguments on the list, but I guess they've been busy for the last month (or forgot about it).

The basic argument was that they didn't believe the value gained from enabling VLA autovectorization was worth the added complexity in maintaining the codebase. They were open to changing their minds if we could demonstrate sufficient demand for the feature.

-Graham