[llvm-dev] [CMake] Re-configuring Debug and Release builds

Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 11 12:47:41 PDT 2019

Whether or not reconfiguring changing `CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE` does anything remotely like what you want depends on which generator you use. It will result in full rebuilds if you are using Ninja, but not Unix Makefiles. This is because Ninja treats the command that generates the output as a dependency of the output.

That said in some environments the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE can impact the values of other cache variables that result from checks for libraries, headers, and symbols. Those cache variables may not be updated in the re-run, which could result in the build not doing what you expect.

In general many of the CMAKE_* variables like CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE and CMAKE_<LANG>_COMPILER, cannot be safely changed without a full re-configure, so I'd advise caution.

-Chris