[llvm-dev] RFC: Getting ProfileSummaryInfo and BlockFrequencyInfo from various types of passes under the new pass manager

Hiroshi Yamauchi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 11 10:12:18 PDT 2019

Here's a revised approach based on the discussion:

- Cache PSI right after the profile summary in the IR is written in the
pass pipeline. This would avoid the need to insert RequireAnalysisPass for
PSI before each non-module pass that needs it. PSI can be technically
invalidated but unlikely as PSI is immutable. If it does, we can insert
another RequireAnalysisPass.

- If PGO, conditionally request BFI from the passes that need it. For
(pipelined) loop passes, we need to insert a pass that computes BFI
conditionally (if PGO) in front of them and make them preserve BFI through.
This is to avoid pipeline interruptions and potential
invalidation/recomputation
of BFI between the loop passes. We detect PGO based on whether PSI has
profile summary info. (For the old pass manager, implement a similar
approach by using LazyBlockFrequencyInfo.)

- Add a new proxy ModuleAnalysisManagerLoopProxy for a loop pass to be able
to get to the ModuleAnalysisManager in one step and PSI through it.