[llvm-dev] IR liveness analysis in 2019

Son Tuan VU via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 6 09:58:54 PST 2019

Hello,

I found this thread back in 2014 [1] . Does anyone know if there has been
any attempt to answer this request?

To clarify, I am looking for an analysis that computes the textbook
definition of variable liveness: "given a SSA value V and a point P, is
there a possible path from P to any use of V?" which is equivalent to "is V
live at point P?"

I can write something myself (and will if need be), but just want to avoid
reinventing the wheels in case improvements have been made since 2014. If
not, what's the best way to contribute this analysis to LLVM? I mean, for
example, is "Computing Liveness Sets for SSA" by Boissinot  [2] efficient
enough to be implemented in LLVM? Or should I find a better algorithm to
solve this?

[1] http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2014-July/074793.html
[2] http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/58/53/03/PDF/RR-7503.pdf

Thanks for your help,