[llvm-dev] Compile for ARM SVE with the latest LLVM

Graham Hunter via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 6 06:49:55 PST 2019

Hi,

> There is SVE support in the back-end, so we can consume and generate
> SVE code, though I'm not sure what completion level it is, but user
> interaction with SVE is restricted to generating (asm) code snippets
> by hand and passing it directly to the back-end.

There should be full support for .s files. Inline asm won't work as well,
since I don't think we've added the constraints for register types.

>>     Is there something I'm missing? Or do I really have to use ARM's HPC compiler?
>
> You can also use GCC 8+, which has support for SVE vectorisation and
> does a good job at it. You probably already know but, current upstream
> QEMU has SVE support (user and system emulation), but it might not
> have reached your distro yet.

In addition to GCC, Arm has released a subset of the HPC compiler on github:

https://github.com/ARM-software/Clang-SVE
https://github.com/ARM-software/LLVM-SVE

This will support autovectorization, but not the C intrinsics defined in
the SVE ACLE. It's based on LLVM 5, so doesn't contain all the features
of trunk.

-Graham