[llvm-dev] GSoC19: Debug Info should have no effect on codegen

Jessica Paquette via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 5 08:35:52 PST 2019

I think an easy way to start here would probably be to use the test suite, or a subset of it.

I would recommend using the SingleSource tests to start out with. The MultiSource tests will lead you into having to bisect on object files, which is a bit more work. There are a couple of large SingleSource tests which I imagine might have a few differences in them.

A workflow like this might help you get started with finding examples of different codegen:

1) Build, but don’t execute, the tests with debug info
2) Build, but don’t execute, the tests without debug info
3) Use test-suite/utils/compare.py on the output JSON reports to check if there are any differences in, say, text size (which implies different codegen)
4) Bisect on object files if necessary
5) Use something like bugpoint to reduce the testcase

You can build the LLVM test suite by following the instructions here:
http://llvm.org/docs/lnt/quickstart.html <http://llvm.org/docs/lnt/quickstart.html>

I find this blog post pretty useful for bugpoint stuff:
http://blog.llvm.org/2015/11/reduce-your-testcases-with-bugpoint-and.html <http://blog.llvm.org/2015/11/reduce-your-testcases-with-bugpoint-and.html>

- Jessica