[llvm-dev] Support for out-of-tree backend passes?

Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 4 14:26:16 PST 2019

I think another source of difficulty is specifying what representation the
pass runs on. Don't forget that the back end lowers LLVM IR to SDAG, then
the SDAG is selected, converted into SSA MIR, then RA and rewriting happens
to take it out of SSA and finally it lowers to the MC layer. It would be
ambiguous to invoke
llc -my-pass
unless we are restricting the passes to IR->IR ones, restricting it to
pre-codegenprep and generally imposing the same requirements on the passes
as exist in the middle end.