[llvm-dev] error building LLVM opt tool under Cygwin

s nedunuri via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 2 21:05:47 PST 2019

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 4:43 PM Rui Ueyama <ruiu at google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 3:15 PM Eli Friedman via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

hi, no I'm pretty sure its not a problem with disk space - i have 139Gb
free.

> In general, Cygwin is not well tested; if you can, I'd recommend using
>> mingw or Visual Studio instead.
>>
> Its very odd because a random selection of other generated executables
seem to run just fine.  What about opt could cause problems with cygwin? I
am running the executable from llvm-project/build/bin - I assume that's
fine?

>> > This is frustrating because opt is the tool I am most interested in, and
>> > the reason I built llvm at all instead of relying on the binary
>> > distribution.
>> >
>> > On a somewhat unrelated note, what does make install actually do. I ran
>> > "cmake -DMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=..../llvm-project/install -P
>> > cmake_Install.cmake" and it ran for a long time, but I couldn't tell
>> > what it actually did. eg I couldn't see any directory called
>> > ..../llvm=project/install"
>>
>> The correct option is "-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=..."; like you would
>> expect, it's supposed to set the install prefix.
>>
> sorry that was a typo in transcribing. The actual text I typed was
"-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=...". But I am still not clear what it actually does

thanks