[llvm-dev] RFC: Getting ProfileSummaryInfo and BlockFrequencyInfo from various types of passes under the new pass manager

Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 2 00:58:10 PST 2019

On 3/2/19 2:38 AM, Hiroshi Yamauchi wrote:
> Here's a sketch of the proposed approach for just one pass(but imagine
> more)
>
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D58845
>
> On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 12:54 PM Fedor Sergeev via llvm-dev
>
>     On 2/28/19 12:47 AM, Hiroshi Yamauchi via llvm-dev wrote:
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     To implement more profile-guided optimizations, we’d like to use
>>     ProfileSummaryInfo (PSI) and BlockFrequencyInfo (BFI) from more
>>     passes of various types, under the new pass manager.
>>
>>     The following is what we came up with. Would appreciate feedback.
>>     Thanks.
>>
>>     Issue
>>
>>     It’s not obvious (to me) how to best do this, given that we
>>     cannot request an outer-scope analysis result from an inner-scope
>>     pass through analysis managers [1] and that we might
>>     unnecessarily running some analyses unless we conditionally build
>>     pass pipelines for PGO cases.
>     Indeed, this is an intentional restriction in new pass manager,
>     which is more or less a reflection of a fundamental property of
>     outer-inner IRUnit relationship
>     and transformations/analyses run on those units. The main intent
>     for having those inner IRUnits (e.g. Loops) is to run local
>     transformations and save compile time
>     on being local to a particular small piece of IR. Loop Pass
>     manager allows you to run a whole pipeline of different
>     transformations still locally, amplifying the save.
>     As soon as you run function-level analysis from within the loop
>     pipeline you essentially break this pipelining.
>     Say, as you run your loop transformation it modifies the loop (and
>     the function) and potentially invalidates the analysis,
>     so you have to rerun your analysis again and again. Hence instead
>     of saving on compile time it ends up increasing it.
>

> Exactly.
>

>     I have hit this issue somewhat recently with dependency of loop
>     passes on BranchProbabilityInfo.
>     (some loop passes, like IRCE can use it for profitability analysis).
>
>     The only solution that appears to be reasonable there is to teach
>     all the loops passes that need to be pipelined
>     to preserve BPI (or any other module/function-level analyses)
>     similar to how they preserve DominatorTree and
>     other "LoopStandard" analyses.
>

> Is this implemented - do the loop passes preserve BPI?
Nope, not implemented right now.
One of the problems is that even loop canonicalization passes run at the
start of loop pass manager dont preserve it
(and at least LoopSimplifyCFG does change control flow).

> In buildFunctionSimplificationPipeline (where LoopFullUnrollPass is
> added as in the sketch), LateLoopOptimizationsEPCallbacks
> and LoopOptimizerEndEPCallbacks seem to allow some arbitrary loop
> passes to be inserted into the pipelines (via flags)?
>
> I wonder how hard it'd be to teach all the relevant loop passes to
> preserve BFI(or BPI)..
Well, each time you restructure control flow around the loops you will
have to update those extra analyses,
pretty much the same way as DT is being updated through DomTreeUpdater.
The trick is to design a proper update interface (and then implement it
;) ).
And I have not spent enough time on this issue to get a good idea of
what that interface would be.

regards,
   Fedor.