[llvm-dev] Support for out-of-tree backend passes?

William Woodruff via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 1 16:46:05 PST 2019

Hi all,

I've been doing some LLVM development recently, as was curious about
the status/feasibility of allowing developers to write out-of-tree
back-end passes (e.g. `MachineFunctionPass`es) in a matter similar
to middle-end passes.

From the limited resources I can find online[1][2][3], LLVM currently
doesn't support building back-end passes outside of the source tree.
Could anybody more familiar with the back-end explain the technical
hurdles/challenges involved in supporting out-of-tree back-end
pass builds? Similarly, would work in the direction of supporting those
builds be welcome? If so, it's something I'd like to look at.

Best,
William Woodruff
william at yossarian.net

[1]: https://github.com/samolisov/llvm-experiments/tree/master/llvm-backend-x86-machine-passes